In order to ensure that the designer can easily understand your revisions, which will help to reduce human error as well as the time it will take to complete your next draft, submit your revisions according to the instructions on the Review Design Draft task page through Octavo.
The image above outlines the revision round process at Tellwell (right-click > "Open image in new tab" to view full-size image). Your publishing package includes two round of revisions each for cover and interior design.
- For the interior, each round includes up to 150 text-based revisions. Anything above 150 revisions or that are particularly complex in nature will require additional design time for an extra fee, because the designer will have to work longer on the book to accommodate the extra revisions.
- For those unfamiliar with Adobe Reader comment tools (click here for an overview) they can be a little tricky and tedious at first, but please know that learning to use them properly will pay dividends when you've published an error-free book that you can be truly proud of!
*Important note: do not directly edit the draft file(s) yourself, PDF files are read-only, the designer will edit the source file according to the revision requests you submit. If you edit the PDF directly, then your designer will not know which changes you made, and will not be able to keep the source files up-to-date, so you would need to start over and resubmit your revisions.
Before you begin, we recommend watching the videos below:
Watch this video to learn how to navigate the Octavo draft revision pages:
Watch this video for specific instructions on how to use the Adobe Reader comment tools
Once you've watched the videos, please carefully follow the instructions outlined below to successfully complete this important task:
- Download your PDF draft(s) from the link in the centre of the Octavo task page, where it says "Download to view complete file."
- Open the file with Adobe Reader. If you do not have Adobe Reader installed on your computer, start by clicking here to download it for free.
- Use the Comment Tools in Adobe to indicate your revisions as you carefully review the cover or interior layout of your book, marking it up like you would with a pen and paper, using tools like Replace Text, Delete Text, Highlight and Comment.
- The Comment Tools allow you to show your designer exactly where and what changes need to be made. For the interior design, you may request up to 150 minor text-based revisions included in each round. Should your requests exceed the time included in the round, you can purchase additional design time.
- As you mark up the PDF file, save the file regularly, and when you are finished, save it a final time and upload to Octavo according to the instructions on the Review Design Draft page.