Have you decided to design your own cover or work with your own designer?
If the answer’s yes, then you have three options. Whichever option you choose, remember that all images in your design must be a minimum of 300dpi resolution and in the CMYK colour profile. Your cover file must also be sized to match your book's trim size.
Option 1: Provide working InDesign or Photoshop files, which our designers can adjust as needed to meet print specifications (recommended)
- Please send us the packaged InDesign file (including all fonts and images) to email@example.com via wetransfer.com — we especially recommend this if you/your designer are not familiar with setting up book cover templates for Ingram Spark and KDP.
- Before beginning design, we recommend you download a cover template here which will show you/your designer all of the safety areas to be aware of, ensuring important elements of your design won't get trimmed during printing.
Option 2: Provide a high-resolution cover image (JPG, PNG, PDF, TIFF) for our designers to place on the proper print templates (must be the correct size and resolution)
- This option is similar to option 1, only more simple. The main difference is that our designer will not be able to edit/adjust any of the elements within the image.
- You must ensure the image has been created in the correct dimensions as per your chosen trim size, and that all text and graphics are a sufficient distance from the edge of the image. Again, it is recommended that you or your designer download the appropriate template here.
- Providing the back cover is optional; our designers can add this for you in the design stage.
Option 3: Provide your own Print-Ready PDFs created according to all necessary print specifications
- In order to create a print-ready cover layout, you will need to provide up to three unique print-ready cover files, depending on the distribution channels included in your publishing package. All authors will need an Ingram Paperback template, and you may also need the Ingram Hardcover and/or KDP/Enhanced Amazon Paperback template.
- For Ingram Paperback and Hardcover, your designer will need to follow the instructions and download the appropriate template here (don't include pricing on the cover).
- For KDP Paperback, the template can be accessed here.
- Before the cover design can be finalized you will need the following:
- Page Count of the approved and finalized interior design
- Trim Size
- Paperback Binding Type (perfect bound)
- Hardback Binding Type (if applicable)
- Colour Type (black & white, standard colour, or premium colour)
Note: if you are working directly with a freelance designer and choose this option, you will be responsible for submitting the files to Tellwell according to correct printer specs and Tellwell will not be able to fulfill any future revisions for you. Therefore, it's important to ensure that the designer you're working with will be reliably available in the future (one of the main risks with working with freelancers), or that you get the working files back from the designer as well when they create the final files for you.
To obtain the above specifications, please email your Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our designers will typically place the Tellwell logo at the bottom left-hand corner of the back cover; it is about 1 inch wide by .5 inch high. Please advise your PM if you do not want us to do this.
- I'm providing my own interior design, what do I need to know?
- What do I need to know about Tellwell's Cover Design process?