The illustrations process is extremely exciting, and you may well be understandably eager to see the final products!
In total, the illustrations process can take up to 4 months or longer to complete. The following is a basic outline of the process and a rough estimate of average timelines for each step:
- Completing the illustration questionnaire – approx 1 week (dependent on author)
- Illustrations Questionnaire review and initial sketch* – approx 2–3 weeks
- Initial sketch revision – approx 1–2 weeks
- Initial sketch colour – approx 1–2 weeks
- Remaining illustrations sketches – approx 2–4 weeks*
- Remaining illustrations revisions – approx 1–3 weeks*
- Remaining illustrations colour – approx 2–4 weeks*
We will do our best to get your illustrations to you as quickly as possible; however, please understand that you are commissioning original artwork, which takes time to create from scratch. Our illustrators will pour their passion, talent and care into every drawing, and you can rest assured that the final product will look incredible.
Each illustration project is unique and since we haven't figured out how to clone any of our illustrators, it is not possible to guarantee any specific illustrator's availability at a specific time; they are each available on a first come, first served basis. The good news is that Tellwell's skilled illustrators have diverse experience and most can work in a multitude of styles. So even if the illustrator whose samples you like most isn't available, chances are we can find another illustrator who can bring your book to life in the way you envision.
Therefore, our estimated illustration timelines vary based on the following factors:
- The illustrator's availability and current project workload
- If your preferred illustrator is busy and a faster turnaround is important to you, our team can recommend another artist who can work within a similar style.
- The complexity of your illustrations
- The number of illustrations you have purchased
- The time it takes you to submit revisions
- The complexity and number of revisions you submit
*The initial sketch and remaining illustrations phases are the ones most subject to change based on the factors above, please expect a longer turnaround if you have purchased more than 8 illustrations and/or they are complex in nature.